2011-09-24

Arcade Etiquette

I've always tolerated arcade antics. And it took more than 12 years to actually make me break and write this.

ARCADE ETIQUETTE

For the new generation of arcade gamers who act like monkeys in the arcade or as if their grandfather OWNS the freaking place or that particular game.

1. Wait for your turn.
Explanation: It's bloody obvious.
But for the sake of elaboration I quote wikihow.
"If a game is being played by others, wait until they're finished before you attempt to play. Do not crowd them, or make them feel as if they have to rush. They have paid to play the game, and are just as entitled to enjoy it as you are."


2. Don't crowd. Or stay too close to another player.
Explanation: Some players get nervous when people crowd. I'm one of them who feels extra pressurized when someone crowds me. And for not staying too close, this applies especially for jubeat or games that require movement of your limbs. I'm sure you don't want to get a nose-bleed or broken nose just because you're standing next to a guy who accidentally elbowed you in the face.


3. Take care of your own belongings.
Explanation: Another bloody obvious rule. Happened to me once when I was playing Jubeat and someone made off with my wallet. It's not nice to find your wallet missing after you've enjoyed an arcade game. Either put your wallet in your pocket or somewhere inside your bag itself, then on the floor. And always check your belongings before leaving.


4. Don't swear at or hit the game.
Explanation: It's not the machine's fault that you suck or that your teacher's an asshole or that your best friend's PMS-ing. And if you happen to be in a game tournament you could very well get kicked out, because in professional gaming it counts as a foul. Moreover, if you hit the game and damage the console/platform, be ready to shorten your lifespan from the cursing of the other players who play the game as well.


5. Don't mouth-off, insult or crap-talk other players even if they're weaker than you.
Explanation:

--> Even if they're not as good as you are, they still have a right to play and enjoy themselves. Or at least pick up and learn the game if they are learning it.
--> It's bloody rude, immature and makes you look like an asshole.
--> You hurt their feelings.
--> You may potentially scare them off the game for a good while, or FOR GOOD.

This happened to me when I was still in secondary school, when I was innocent and nice and Hinata-like and all~ *gets bricked by many people* =___=;;

...Then this *GAKI* appears and beat me hands-down in KOF 2002 when it was still in the hype back then. He proceeded to follow me WHEREVER I go, and to WHICHEVER game I play, taunting and insulting me about how bad I was at playing. Until he said (in Chinese) "Play for so long already still so sucky. GO BE PROSTITUTE LAH!!" *goes Kenpachi on him now*

Though I think he didn't know the weight of his words at that time, he gave me quite a good dent to my pride. I stayed away from KOF 2002 and that arcade afterwards.

See the impact now???


6. Don't complain about "cheap" moves in player-vs-player games.
Explanation:

--> Though cheap, it may be a widely accepted strategy or tactic among tournament level players.
--> It's the opponent's or YOUR own play-style. No one really has the right to criticise anyone's playstyle unless it jeopardizes the game. (to be elaborated in next section)
--> You can only blame your luck or your lack of ability to counter when losing to a spammer, if you're facing one.


7. When it comes to co-op games, YOU JOLLY WELL CO-OP AND DO YOUR PART.
Explanation: What's the purpose of a co-op game if you and your partner DON'T co-operate with each other? (unless you're trying to pull a Battle Royale scenario and are therefore trying to beat each other down or do each other in)

Eg. Powerstone 2.
I got very pissed at this kid yesterday whom I played Powerstone 2 with. Because his playstyle is VERY COWARDLY, in my opinion. So what does he do? Make his character stand on top of a pillar or some very high ground and wait for the battle-field and tides to shift. AT A BOSS STAGE AND IN FRONT OF THE BOSS WHILE I GOT SLICED, HAMMERED, BURNED, BOMBED, ICED, SHOT, AXED, ELECTROCUTED AND CHOMPED ON. Then we both die.

Ticked off at this, I asked him why he never did anything on the sidelines, this was his reply.

"In Powerstone you need to wait to survive." or something along those lines.

NO. In Powerstone, where you play as a single player, FINE, since the CPU characters can be very stupid; in 2-player scenarios, however, it becomes a co-op game where you try to co-operate to take the CPU down and survive. Especially for final boss stage where you try to deal as much damage to the boss as possible.


IF YOU'RE GOING TO STAND THERE AND DO NOTHING YOU MIGHT AS WELL DON'T PLAY.

Nii-san's otherwise fine. He makes a very good partner especially for House of the Dead 4. =w=


8. Don't eat and leave your trash at the game console.
Explanation: It's inconsiderate and surely you don't expect the others to clean up the mess for you??


9. "I'm going home" is not a valid excuse for me to let you go first.
Explanation: This seems to be a popular excuse among some gamers. "I need to go home", plops down the credit, proceeds to pwn me and fight until boss stage. What happened to going home?

"I'm going home soon.", taps one credit on the Jubeat machine, then taps another one after I tapped. Then after that, I told him to let nii-san go first because nii-san needs to go back to work. He repeats "I'm going home soon".

"MY FRIEND NEEDS TO GO BACK TO WORK." was my reaction. He succumbed. And nii-san proceeded to call me a shrew, said that I was so fierce and that he didn't believe that I'll actually yell at the kid with his parent around. To anyone who reads this...don't be like me. +____+;;;; I still feel somewhat guilty for yelling at him.

And I'm seriously sick of this excuse. If you tell me that you need to go home and actually slot or plop another credit into the machine, this tells me that you still have time and that you didn't need to go home urgently. Since I come before you, why should I let you have the game if you can wait and you have time? This is how I read it.


10. Behave yourself and watch your conduct.
Explanation:
--> Imagine a Wangan player using almost something that resembles "降龍十八掌" on the gear control and swearing like a hooligan. Then, imagine a lower Secondary schoolboy screaming beside you, voice not yet cracked. This followed by a kid who makes loud sounds effects while playing PowerStone.

Get the picture now?

Tsuzuku...kamo.

Before I end, an additional link about arcade etiquette for females, for nobody/anybody's reference:

No comments: